Thirteen persons are feared dead while 53 others have sustained injuries after two female suicide bombers detonated explosive devices in Biu, Borno State.
The two attackers were also said to have died in the twin explosions which occurred at a market in the town at about 11:00 am on Saturday.
The blasts struck while aid workers were distributing food to people affected by the eight-year conflict with Boko Haram, said Aliyu Idrisa, a community leader.
In addition to the 13 victims, 53 people were injured and two bombers were killed, said Victor Isuku, police spokesman for Borno state.
Saturday’s attack bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which uses suicide bombers, often women and girls, to attack crowded public spaces.
Last week, a suicide bombing at a mosque in the north-eastern town of Mubi killed at least 50 people, one of the deadliest attacks in recent years.
The government has said its long-term plan for the north-east is to corral civilians inside fortified garrison towns and effectively cede the countryside to Boko Haram.
That plan and a string of deadly attacks have raised questions about assertions by the Nigerian government and military that Boko Haram’s Islamist insurgency has been all but wiped out.
Biu has been largely spared by the Boko Haram insurgency, but many areas surrounding that town have been attacked on several occasions.
Do You Have Any Story, Press Release, Events Coverage Or You Want An Advert Placement?
Call The DailyBells Nigeria Today On Our Hotlines +234 802 523 7926, +234 806 017 6677 Or WHATSAPP On +234 802 523 7926
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Or email@example.com.
All Rights Reserved. This Material And Any Other Material On THE DAILYBELLS NIGERIA Should Not Be Reproduced, Published Broadcast, Written Or Distributed In Full Or In Part, Without Written Permission From The Editor/CEO..