We are not funding fight against Boko Haram- Swiss govt

MNJTF-at-its-launch-in-May-2015
The MNJTF during its launch in May 2015

By Adejuwon Osunnuyi
The Switzerland government has denied funding Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) in the fight against the terrorist group, Boko Haram.

The government said it has remained neutral in the conflict, which explains its role in brokering peace all over the world.

In a press release made available to DailyBells Nigeria, the Swiss government said the declaration of 1 February 2016 regarding Switzerland’s funding of the MNJTF is purely incorrect.

In reiterating its historic commitment to humanitarian aid, the protection of individuals and the promotion of peace, which the country is known throughout the world for, it said, “As a neutral actor in conflict situations, Switzerland has never given financial support to military interventions and will abstain from doing so in the future.”

The statement stated that the Swiss government has only allocated close to $12m as humanitarian aid to mitigate the affected population’s suffering from the Boko Haram crisis as its action in the Lake Chad region consists solely and exclusively in the financial support to the major humanitarian agencies.

Loading...

“To date, Switzerland allocated close to USD 12m to mitigate the affected population’s suffering from the Boko Haram crisis in the region.
“Most resources have been granted to Protection and Food security/Nutrition-related programs in neighboring countries (Niger, Cameroon) to Multilateral partners (WFP, UNHCR, ICRC) and NGOs (International Rescue Committee, COOPI, Croix-Rouge française).

“Furthermore, Switzerland supports peace processes, peacebuilding as well as sustainable development initiatives and programs in the wider Sahel region.”
Media reports had earlier this week said donors, including Nigeria, Switzerland and France, have pledged about $250 million to fund the 8,700-strong regional force.

Orlando Bama, communications officer for the African Union’s Peace and Security Council was said to have indicated that the $250 million includes both previous pledges and those made during Monday’s conference in Addis Ababa.

 

Please follow and like us:

Do You Have Any Story, Press Release, Events Coverage Or You Want An Advert Placement?

Call The DailyBells Nigeria Today On Our Hotlines +234 802 523 7926,  +234 806 017 6677 Or WHATSAPP On +234 802 523 7926

Email: dailybellsnigeria@yahoo.com Or megacrown1@yahoo.com.

Thanks. MGT

All Rights Reserved. This Material And Any Other Material On THE DAILYBELLS NIGERIA Should Not Be Reproduced, Published Broadcast, Written Or Distributed In Full Or In Part, Without Written Permission From The Editor/CEO..

%d bloggers like this: